Thursday, January 10, 2013

Alexander Calder

Alexander Calder is a very creative artist. A lot of his artwork consists of sculptures, but he also does art on paper. I really enjoy his artwork, its simple, yet very exciting. I have also noticed that a lot of his art uses only a couple of colors, which I thought was interesting. Calder lived from July 22, 1898 to November 11, 1976. In 1915 He studied mechanical engineering and enrolled in the Stevens Institute of Technology, he excelled in mathematics. In 1918 he joined the Student's Army Training Corps and was made guide of the battalion. In 1926, Calder eventually moved to Paris. In 1926 while traveling by boat to New York, he met his wife, Louisa James. In 1966, Calder had written his Autobiography With Pictures. Three of my favorite artworks by Calder are "Expo Galerie BelIInt", "Composition V", and "Composition III".

I really like Expo Galerie BelIInt, because it's very simple, but there is also a lot going on in it. There are a lot of lines going in different directions, but only like 5 colors in the entire artwork. There's a bunch of circles but the one quadrilateral catches my eye.

Expo Galerie BelIInt Collectable Print

Composition V is another one I like. It's still crazy like the other one, but less so. It's also more simple, and not even 5 colors are used, unlike the other one.

Composition V Collectable Print

Composition III is the last of my favorites. I really like how the two figures are tangled and intertwined. I thought that was really cool. This time, only 2 colors are used, unlike the other two artworks.

Composition III

No comments:

Post a Comment